Microsoft Excel and mysql
MS excel can connect to a mysql database (through ODBC) and display data. You need two items not included in the "typical" install of excel:
The technique is:
- Microsoft Query- comes with Excel, but is not part of the "standard" install package.
- MyODBC (free from www.mysql.com)
Note that excel charts can be easily included in powerpoint slides- presumably you can get totals accurate to 20 seconds ago...
- Find ODBC data sources in Control Panel; set up a new one with the database params you want.
- Start Excel, go to Data->external data->Create new query.
- Have fun! Excel cant write to the db, so you cant screw it up
Back to start
January 7, 2002